Get Grounded in God

So apparently I almost hurt myself the other day. I have been pinning like crazy on Pinterest and I have really wanted to start making homemade cleaner. I went to Wal-Mart and bought all the stuff. I'm probably on a list now for people that buy too much cleaner, LOL.

When I decided to make the cleaner I pulled up a couple of recipes to look at and then decided to make my own version of homemade cleaner. In the back of my mind I vaguely remember something about not mixing certain chemicals but I didn't bother to go look it up. I just added them slowly so if they did blow up, it wouldn't be all that bad. When nothing blew up, I figured everything was OK.

Everything was ok, the first time I used it, but when I went back to use it the second time, I nearly passed out from the fumes, which come to find out were toxic. My carelessness put me and my family in danger. If I had only followed the directions, none of this would have happened. Now I've had to throw my bottle of cleaner away and start over.

As I relate this to my Christian walk, I think about what happens when we don't follow directions. You see prayer, Bible reading, and church attendance are all directions we should follow in order to have our relationship with Christ. If we leave one of these out, it leaves room for sin to come into our lives. Then our relationship with Christ becomes toxic. In other words, the bad stuff starts to take over the good stuff until there is no longer good stuff left but only something bad that is far away from what it was intended to be. The good news is that if you are in this state, all you have to do is ask God for forgiveness. He is ready to cleanse you and make you whole.

God has been showing me, that as Christians we need to be more grounded in Him. Our faith cannot depend on what someone else teaches us or tells us. We have to be firmly rooted in God's Word and we also have to have meaningful conversations with Him (prayer) in order for our Christian walk to remain solid.

Some people will argue that you don't have to go to church to follow God. While this may be true, in some regards, church does encourage you in your Christian walk. It also allows you to minister to other people. If you look at the church in Acts 1-2, they met daily together. I believe this is an example that we should follow. While we don't normally meet daily together, we should be encouraging each other daily and make getting together to study God's Word a priority as often as we can.

I encourage you this week to really dig into your Bible, set aside extra time to pray, and really make church a priority. Get grounded in God.

1 Therefore, laying aside all malice, all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and all evil speaking, 2 as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby, 3 if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is gracious. 1 Peter 2:1-3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons From Line 6

Cord's Story

God Believes In You