Following Directions

I taught myself to cross-stitch when I was like 12 years old. I have been doing it ever since and am pretty capable at reading patterns and knowing what the stitches are, etc. A few years ago, I found a table top, table runner and pillow set that I just had to have. I thought it was such a pretty piece, so I ordered all three pieces. I was so excited when the kits came in, I just couldn't wait to start working on them. I opened the package and pulled out the material and started to look for the directions. The package said to follow the directions. The problem was there wasn't any directions. There was a picture that did not match the pattern I was looking at stamped on the material. It was similar but it wasn't the same thing. Even though I had lots of experience sewing, it just looked too complicated, so I put it up in my basket and that's where it sat for several years.

This pattern made me think about when I first came back to church. There was a lot of things that I did not understand. When I felt a call into ministry I fought God for a little bit because there was so much I didn't know. When I started the credential process I realized there was actually a LOT of things I did not know. Words were thrown at me like sanctification, holiness, inerrancy of scripture, along with many other words that I had no clue what they meant. I was very confused, which was new for me because I have always been one to learn things very quickly. So quickly, that I have rarely had to study. I don't say that to brag, but to say this: God's Word is different. I have to study. As I grow deeper with God, new things are revealed to me everyday. It is a continual process of studying the Word of God and I want to do this because I want to know more of God. I don't want a glossed over version of what someone tells me the Bible says, I want to know for myself.

As new Christians it can be overwhelming to come to church, especially if you weren't raised in church. It can be overwhelming to read your Bible. Where do you start? What does it all mean? Realize that just because you are saved does not mean that you suddenly understand everything there is to know about God. It comes by being committed and being faithful. Don't get discouraged if you don't understand everything all at once. Just stay in there and ask questions, seek answers in God's Word. Find a seasoned Christian and have them help you understand the things that are hard.

Above all else, seek that relationship with God and don't give up.

I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:14

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons From Line 6

Cord's Story

God Believes In You